Five of the nine Target stores will locate in former Zellers store locations. The other four will be newly-built stores.
Here is a breakdown of the new Canadian Target locations for 2014:
- The Stockyards, Toronto, Ontario
- Kingsway Mall, Edmonton, Alberta
- Hillside Centre, Victoria, British Columbia
- Erin Mills Town Centre, Mississauga, Ontario
- Park Place, Barrie, Ontario
- Carrefour Candiac, Candiac, Quebec
- St. Laurent, Ottawa, Ontario
- Sheridan Centre, Mississauga, Ontario
- Polo Park, Winnipeg, Manitoba
On Target's Canadian expansion, company president Tony Fisher stated: “The past year marked a major milestone for Target and we delivered on the unprecedented goal of opening 124 Target stores across 10 provinces in 2013. As we head into 2014, we will continue to enhance the guest experience at all stores while continuing to expand our presence in new Canadian neighbourhoods.”
Each of these new Target stores will employ about 150 workers, which is the average number of workers for its existing stores.
Gregg Steinhafel, chairman, president and CEO of Target, says that the company expects its Canadian operations to generate “$6 billion or more in sales” and 80 cents in earnings per share by 2017.
- Target opening first Canadian stores on Tuesday, March 5th
- List of Canadian Target stores opening Tuesday, May 7th
- Target announces 20 more Canadian store openings this month, including its first in Saskatchewan
- Target's fall 2013 store openings (including 1st Quebec and Nova Scotia stores)
- Target announces final 33 Canadian store openings for 2013
[Source: Press Release]
[Target Canada website]